Thursday 14 December 2006

St Edmund, rightful patron of England?

St Edmund Blog

According to this fellow St Edmund, an east Anglian king was the patron saint of England until the 13th Century and was only replaced with St George the Palestinian as part of erasing the anglo saxon heritage of England.

Well I'm not sure about that, some of my fellow English patriots seem to have an unhealthy obsession with the idea of a Norman conspiracy to destroy the anglo saxons. I reckon St George was actually made patron saint to help drum up support for the crusades if anything. If I wasnt very tired at the moment (I am) I'd try and make a joke about George Bush and George Galloway but I really can't be arsed.

Anway whatever the reason, I'm not bothered really the idea of a patron saint at it's best should be so we have an excuse for a piss up and a day off work on their holiday - maybe we could have two patron saints.

Wikipedia article here

No comments: