Thursday 14 December 2006

The West Lothian Answer

The West Lothian Question was named after the MP for that constituency the mighty democrat Tam Dalyell.

"For how long will English constituencies and English Honourable members tolerate... at least 119 Honourable Members from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland exercising an important, and probably often decisive, effect on British politics while they themselves have no say in the same matters in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland?"

I think it's a stupid question - why should English MPs who have consistantly refused to back an English parliament punish our neighbours for demanding their democratic rights? The real question is not about so called celtic over-representation at Westminster, but English under-representation in our own country.

Tam was a fantastic politican, a true blue old school representative - but he was wrong on this issue
.

1 comment:

Chris (Christopher) Judd said...

Maybe because we agree on nearly everything on your web site I have emailed you for your thoughts regarding marketing English Nationalism and or English republicanism. I am right at the door of starting a political party with the aim of being at heart an English nationalist party but it is not so easy to sell. I have been briefly in the English Democrats membership 1500, and Free England, membership 67 but they are both poorly led and both never answered their emails or other communication media over a week’s duration. So despite being offered good positions I told them to basically stuff it and went my own way.
It is my view civic nationalism has to be packaged alongside policies giving hope, the trouble is England has people with a Labour Identity and Conservative Identity. To please one, one pisses off the other. I think a working class (god forgive me) orientated party offering hope of more social housing, cheaper housing and better old age pensions could be put alongside ending mass immigration and renegotiation of our relationship with the EU as trading partners. If anyone out there would like to join me in this venture at this early stage I would be delighted.
Chris Judd chris.g.judd@hotmail.co.uk